Tuesday, 24 April 2018

Yelverton - The church of St Mary the Virgin

This is a delightful warm welcoming church which is obviously well cared for and much loved. It’s interior is light and airy with a clerestory on both sides of the nave which was added onto the church in the late C15 –
 Those clerestory windows on the outside of the North side of the nave still show their Tudor brickwork surrounds  

On the day of my visit the church interior was awash with sweet smelling flowers


Restoration took place here in 1883 when the font was moved from it’s original position to the west end of the south aisle – it is possibly C14 but made in the Norman square bowl style
One the west wall of the nave wall is a carved oak memorial for the fallen in WW1, and the stained glass window nearby also commemorates the soldiers and sailors from the village who lost their lives in that same war.

The C14 porch contains the remains of a holy Water stoup
 The two spectacular porch windows are recent additions to the church being commissioned and installed in 2000, they represent fire and water  
 
  During the C19 restoration the chancel was enlarged but retained it’s trefoil headed piscina and sedilia window seat.

The 1883 choir stalls have medieval poppyheads inserted in their ends – one of the poppyheads shows a ‘green man’ carved into it’s end


                                     East window >>

Main early benefactors of the church were Thomas and Beatrice Hotte. The rood screen was one of their donations to the church in C14.

  Originally a rood (large crucifix) hung from the rood loft….

                             


The stairs up to the rood loft are still in situ, when these were repaired in the C19 an old sanctus bell was discovered and now resides in a niche near the organ, at the same time an old door ring  was found and is now on the inside of the South door to the church

The charming upper rood screen is early C20 but the dado is medieval with painted panels of angels upon it

There are several old brasses on ledgerstones lying in the church. One of these has a small effigy about 6” high of a young girl, it’s for Margaret Aldriche who belonged to an important Norwich family she died in 1525 (“in her floryching youthe”) 


The church contains some large wall memorial plaques and there are two interesting ones on the exterior of the South nave wall which are edged in brickwork, these are dedicated to Leonard and William hood who died in 1705 and 1711 respectively 

Thomas Thetford was responsible for building the flint and brick stubby tower in 1673/4  He has an inscribed plaque inserted half way up the South wall of the tower 

There is a pleasant graveyard which contains a poignant lonely grave of a child who died over a hundred years ago...



This is a truly a delightful church to visit.




No comments:

Post a Comment