Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, 8 April 2017

St Peter & St Paul church, Kelsale, Suffolk


This is a lovely church which has gone through two huge C19 restorations.  It set in a serene position in a quiet village.  The first thing which catches the eye is it’s most unusual C19 lych-gate which leads parishioners through an avenue of lime trees up to the south porch


The oak door into the church still retains it’s huge iron knocker.
-  also there’s a smattering of early graffiti around the door arch

Hanging from the porch roof is an large old converted gasolier

There's a small bright belfry to the West as
you enter the church.

- beyond this stands the sturdy low C15 font which has an interesting charity board on either side. with hatchments hanging above.


Below the large five-light West window stands a beautiful septych, this was meant to be the reredos to stand behind the altar at the East end of the chancel, but it covered too much of the East  window so was removed from there to it’s present position.





  A striking statue of Samuel Clouting who died July 1852 is let into the SW wall of the nave – he appears to have been a very philanthropic man.







There’s a beautiful C19 wrought iron screen with bronze figures which divides the chancel from the nave.


The nave contains a Jacobean carved pulpit which stands near the rood screen door.








Some nice stained glass adorns the church windows and a special one by William Morris is in the North wall of the chancel…this was added by Rev Irving Davies and his wife in memory of their daughter Georgina Mary Paulina who was born in Jerusalem in May 1850 but died August 1875>>



The South aisle was the the original church and now contains memorials to the C17 & C18 Russel families





Above the South door is a plaque dedicated toLancelot Brown, a rector here for 58 years…he was the grandson of Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown the famed landscape gardener

There are many wall plaques and memorials of interest here


                                                                                                                                    Church interior
                                                                                                                           
   
The fine North Norman doorway is thought to have been the original South entrance doorway  before being moved during one of the restorations…the Priest’s door in the South wall is it's contemporary                                                        priests' door >>

In the enormous graveyard are some headstones of particular interest –including an early C20 one of Sir Harry Courthope Munroe and his wife Dame Ellen which has their family crest depicted upon it.

                 Kelsale graveyard


No comments:

Post a Comment