Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, 30 January 2016

Kirkstead, Church of St Margaret

This little church is set amidst a tree lined graveyard beside the old Rectory..very picturesque even on a wet miserable day similar to the day on my visit.

There’s a  fine war memorial leading up the path to the church entrance.

Sadly I found the church locked so was unable to explore inside…it wasn’t even possible to take any pictures of the interior through the windows.
I had been hoping to view the memorial tablets of the notable Kerrison family which I’d been told line the nave walls, and also see an early ledger stone mounted on the tower wall which records the death of several children.



There were workmen busy on repair work to the slate roof of the nave adjoining the small chancel with it's apsidal apse, so I found exploring part of the graveyard a ‘no go’ area as 
well….Not a good day after travelling a good many miles to get here!





.…..From what I could see from the outside of the building, it looks as if a great deal of C19 restoration work has taken place here…I found out later that the local Kerrison family from Burgh Hall, Aylsham were responsible for the rebuilding of most of the church in 1864.





…The tower has a nice castellated top

.




…..The single and double lancet windows are a fine illustration of their type with early Gothic tracery, and most still possess their decorative head stops.

.





There is a priests door into the chancel which is locked and has a wire protection cover over it....I assume this is to deter intruders...>>
.






.…..The South entrance has a pleasant wooden porch which gives semi protection from the elements to the C12 door within.
.









I was pleased to find three Kerrison headstones directly outside the South porch. There might be more family headstones elsewhere in the overgrown churchyard, but the inclement weather persuaded me to curtail my visit here, and decide to return on another day when I hope to find the church unlocked
.

 Headstone for Roger Kerrison MA who was a JP in Suffolk, born in Yoxford in 1857 and died March 6th 1924 in Essex..it’s also for his wife Ellen Maria 1867-1940
.  The cross headstone is for their daughter Barbara Eileen Constance d.19th March 194?...she was the wife of Charles Fortescue Webb
.and there's a headstone for Lieu Col Edmund Roger Allday Kerrison 1856-1944 CMG  OBE  Royal Artillery, and for his wife Jessie Matilda 1860-1944…she was the daughter of Rear Admiral Stapleton Greville RN


I’m sure there must be lots more of interest hidden in this church and it’s churchyard, which I hope someday to uncover.

No comments:

Post a Comment