Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, 3 September 2014

St Andrew's church, Sotherton

I found St Andrew’s church down a narrow country lane amidst wide open fields which had recently been harvested. As there’s no car park to the church I had to park in an open field nearby -  this proved a necessity as two enormous agricultural lorries decided to follow me down the dead end lane!
…Not a good start to my church exploration, which didn’t improve as I found the church unexpectedly locked and no sign of a  key holder.
Feeling a little frustrated I still decided to look round the outside of the church and it’s tiny churchyard.
          

 I have an odd feeling about this church, I’m not sure it’s as old as it appears at first glance..the beautiful stone carved headstops on the outside of the windows are surely no older than C19 …(I must find some previous information about this church to sate my curiosity)



There’s more nice stone carving on the South  porch archway


I only managed to take a couple of decent pictures of the interior through a pane of clear glass, as the ground around the church looks as if it’s sinking, and I would have needed a pair of steps to reach high enough to take any more pictures.


The font looks typically C15 with Tudor roses and shields carved around it's bowl,...the cover looks as if it might be C17

I had been told beforehand that this church contains an effigy of a C13 knight reposing in an arched recess in the North wall of the nave..I would loved to have seen that  - so will definitely have to make a return visit (providing I can get the key)



There's a nice priest's door on the North side of the church - notice it has steps up to the door, which demonstrates how much higher the church is than the churchyard.







One obvious omission from this church is a tower, I never think a church looks right without one, so I need to find out the reason why there's only a little bellcote here. 

There doesn’t appear to be many graves in the churchyard. Maybe there were burials here before headstones started to became fashionable in the 1600s, but there's no obvious sign of any. 



This picture shows members of one family who all died within a few years at the beginning of the C19


No comments:

Post a Comment