The large church of Holy Trinity
is situated in the middle of the town, and reportedly the third church to be
built on this site. It stands like an island surrounded by it’s vast graveyard.
.The church was built in the late 1400’s and has some similarities to the magnificent
church at Southwold in Suffolk. It’s tower and large porch was added in the
early /mid C16… A statue of the Holy Trinity stands in a niche above the South
porch door entrance…this statue had been discovered during the C19 restoration
of the church
On entering the church the thing
which first catches the eye is the C15 ‘seven sacrament’ Font with panels which
have sadly been defaced – possibly late in the C16 before the puritan William
Dowsing carried out orders to destroy all religious imagery, it stands on a
base from a later date.
The Rood Screen would have
undoubtedly looked splendid when first painted in the early C16 as it would
have stretched across the full width of the church, but sadly only the dado
remains, (the upper rood screen was removed in 1830)…this is fascinating as one
of it’s remaining panels depicts the infamous martyrdom of St William of
Norwich – a young boy who was alleged to have been sacrificed by the Jews of
Norwich in 1144, although there is no real foundation to this story.
In the Lady Chapel is the
imposing tomb of Lady Dionysis Williamson who died in 1684. She had been one of
the largest donators to rebuilding St Paul’s Cathedral after the Great fire of
London in 1666.
There are many brasses and
monuments to the Hobart family in the church, they were benefactors of Holy
Trinity during C14 and C15 ….In the Sanctuary there is a large decorated tomb
of Sir James Hobart (d.1615 and his wife Frances (d 1609)
There’s also a
stained glass window in the Lady Chapel dedicated to the Hobart family, it
commemorates the 500th anniversary of the building of the church built by the first Sir James Hobart
Portrait of Sir James Hobart and his wife who built the church c1492
The pulpit dates from 1631 and
mounted on a base from a much later date.
… the beautiful East window was
installed in the middle of the C19
Over the tower arch on the West wall hangs a picture of the Royal
Arms of George 1
On the outside of the church at
the base of the West tower are two graves, believed to be the graves of two
workmen who fell to their death when restoring the tower.
This is lovely welcoming church to visit and has many interesting graves to peruse in the churchyard.