Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, 19 July 2013

All Saints Frostenden


 I’d passed by the lane leading to this small country church on numerous occasions, but because I knew it was always kept locked I’d never ventured up the lane until one lovely day last Summer when I had some spare time on my hands and decided to take a look around it’s churchyard.
East end of the All Saints church
….The church is practically isolated as it’s nearest neighbour is Frostenden Hall. It’s in a very lonely place with the wide open fields and only some sheep for company.
 It was a very pleasing sight as we ventured round the last bend in the lane leading to the church and hall – everything seemed so serene…maybe because it was such perfect weather on that day, I expect it would be a different story if visited on a cold Winter's day with snow on the ground.



The church has an imposing Medieval round tower and the nave looks to have been  built c13C

War Memorial




…On reading the names on the War Memorial located just through the church gates, I was struck by how many men gave their lives for their Country from just this one very small village.

 The churchyard has a section which is kept as a wildlife sanctuary – as do many other old churchyards these days.

  My daughter accompanied me on this day and as she’s taller than me she was able to stand and take a few pictures of the interior of the church through the clear glass windows of the nave.



 From what we could see the interior of the church looks an open airy space, and probably refurbished in the late 19C…such a pity we couldn't go inside.






Porch door with sundial above. 

It's a great pity there's just a few churches in Suffolk that need to be keep locked. Many people like myself love to explore them and some people would like to enter just to sit and reflect. Thankfully most of the churches I visit are left open. 
     
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment