Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, 21 May 2013

An Isolated Church Ellough


All Saints Church Ellough
I had to travel down narrow country lanes with very little sign of habitation before I reached this redundant church, and the closer I came to the church the more wild and desolate the area became…if a horse and carriage had trundled by it wouldn’t have surprised me, as I felt as if I’d been transported back two hundred years in time..I’m sure everything must have looked exactly the same in the C19.
       Seeing the isolated church for the first time did nothing to dispel this feeling. The church stands atop of an incline above it’s almost forgotten graveyard, and my first impression was how bleak and forbidding it looked. It reminded me of something one would find in a Gothic mystery novel….Maybe the overcast sky had something to do with it...

North side of Church with flattened graveyard
The church is constructed of flint rubble but with it’s very shallow roof. it doesn’t have the appealing appearance of most other medieval churches.

Uncommon grave markers
The north side of the large graveyard has been completely flattened apart from a few graves close to the church, and which now resembles a barren green field.

 INTERIOR
The interior of the church is simple with very few furnishings. It was restored in the Victorian era...

                                          
  I loved the C15 tie beam roof  in the Nave with it’s wall posts resting on stone corbel heads…the highlight of the church for me.
Nave roof and corbel head

There’s a C15 font bowl (I think it’s pedestal must be a Victorian addition) Around the bowl it is decorated alternatively with shields and Tudor roses.
                        C15 Font bowl with it's pedestal of a later date.

There are ledger slabs, some which surprisingly have brasses….I wonder why William Dowsing’s men let these brasses remain in 
1643 when they ransacked the rest of the church of it’s imagery and relics.... *time of the Reformation*

Family Ledger Slab

There’s a stone pedestal base which has names and dates scratched into it, upon which I believe the pulpit once stood, and where now a charming vase holding fresh cut greenery stands – there was also a fresh potted plant on the lectern...this was heart warming to see. It means there’s someone who thinks lovingly of this church and attempts to bring a little joy within it’s chilly walls.

All Saints is not the prettiest of churches with it’s sombre air, that I have visited, but it’s certainly interesting, and one I’m pleased not to have missed on my travels.



This church has been under the care of the Church Conservation Trust since the 1970’s and it is open for anyone wishing for a few moments of quiet reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment